Easter is here! The start of the Easter Season always makes me pause to reflect on the Risen Christ. I hope that this piece, originally published on IgnatianSpirituality.com’s DotMagis Blog, helps to nudge in you that calling to remember where it all began, when you first encountered the Risen Christ.
I took a long sip of my hot coffee to give me a minute to process his question. Sitting across from me was a man in his late twenties who had just asked me, “When did you first encounter the Risen Christ?”
His question made me pause. Not only was I thrown off by the depth of his question within minutes of meeting each other, but I was not prepared to be the one asked this type of question. When he asked to meet, I assumed I would be in the role of spiritual director offering questions to let him reflect on his own faith journey.
It was a challenging question, not because I had not reflected on it before, but because of how badly I needed to be reminded of the beginning of my journey: the early moments when my eyes were opened and my heart burned within me. The moments when I was drawn inexplicably to God by a restlessness and desire to learn more. The moments when I was almost giddy with joy as I became aware of God’s presence in my life.
As the coffee warmed my throat, I realized I saw in the young man the same inquisitive nature that I possess—the part of me that loves to hear people’s faith stories and the part of me that loves to hear when God got people’s attention. I could feel his question hitting me deep in my core, a nudge from God to remember where it all began. Continue reading this post on IgnatianSpirituality.com.
- 10 Reasons to Like the Easter Season
- If Life Doesn’t Have you in the Easter Season and Real Hope is Not Naïve or Ignorant
- Relationship with Jesus
- He is Risen, Alleluia!
Cultivating Space for God Together:
- I’m in Canada soon! On May 15 I’ll be at the Calgary Catholic Leadership Retreat.
- Will you be at the National Conference of Catechetical Leadership on May 20? Come see me! I’ll be facilitating a Retreat Day.
- On June 29 I’m leading the SJA Parent and Alumnae Retreat on Making Hope Real at St Joseph’s Academy in Baton Rouge.
- I’ll be in Atlanta on August 17 for the Atlanta Catechist Conference.