This Advent season we are turning to one of the many ways God remains with us–through Scripture. Over the next four weeks, we will encounter God with us in the Old Testament, the Psalms, the New Testament, and the Gospel. Each week, I will provide:
- A guided audio reflection on one of the Sunday readings using the prayer method Lectio Divina
- A downloadable list of scriptures for the week that you can use to do Lectio Divina with for your daily prayer
Know that as you pray these scriptures each day, not only am I praying them with you, our universal church will be also as they are from our daily readings. This first week of Advent, our daily scripture to pray with, will be the Old Testament reading of the first Sunday.
Pray with Me: Click here to listen to Becky’s Guided Lectio Divina
Today’s Old Testament reading is from the prophet Jeremiah. In it, we are reminded of the promise God made to the people of Israel that the Messiah would come from the house of David. We also hear the words of promise that when the Savior comes they will be safe and secure. As you pray these words today, remember we are living in a time where this promise was fulfilled. God kept His word. A good reason for us to hope- God always keeps His word.
Sunday Mass Scripture: JER 33:14-16
The days are coming, says the LORD,
when I will fulfill the promise I made
to the house of Israel and Judah.
In those days, in that time,
I will raise up for David a just shoot;
he shall do what is right and just in the land.
In those days Judah shall be safe
and Jerusalem shall dwell secure;
this is what they shall call her:
“The LORD our justice.”
The Method of Lectio Divina:
Lectio Divina is a slow, rhythmic reading and praying of a Scripture passage.
Here’s a brief recap of the steps of Lectio Divina:
- Read: Pick any passage in Scripture. Slowly, thoughtfully, savor the word. Linger whenever a word or phrase touches your heart.
- Reflect: What is God saying to you in this passage? Offering you? Asking you?
- Respond: Respond to God from your heart. Speak to God of your feelings and insights. Offer these to God.
- Rest in God: Sit quietly in God’s presence. Rest in God’s love.
- Week 1 Scripture Resource Sheet (December 2-8)
- Order Packs of 10 Lectio Divina Cards – Great for Small Groups
- Printable Lectio Divina Prayer Card
- Video: Becky Explains Lectio Divina
- Book: Sauntering Through Scripture: A Book Of Reflections
- Advent Reflections: Sacred Advent & Advent Calendar for Adults
- Daily Scripture: Give us This Day
- December 11, 2018: Women of the Well Advent Evening of Reflection, Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church, Baton Rouge, LA
- December 16, 2018: St. Margaret’s Theology in a Bottle, Albany, LA “Spirituality of a Busy Person”
- January 14-17: Online Busy Person’s Retreat – The retreat that comes to you! Registration is now open.