As we enter our second week of Advent, we turn this week in our series God with Us in the Word to the Psalms. Last month, I shared at length about the value of praying the psalms. Let us continue our celebration of these sacred songs of praise, of comfort, and of lament by joining our hearts and prayers by praying the daily Psalm together this week.
Pray with Me: Click here to listen to Becky’s Guided Lectio Divina
This Sunday’s Psalm comes from Psalm 126. It is a psalm celebrating how the Lord has done great things. As we pray this together, I wonder how these words might echo true for us today: How is the Lord doing great things in our life? What great things did the Lord already do?
Sunday Mass Scripture: Ps 126: 1-6 (PS 126:1-6)
When the LORD restored the captives of Zion we thought we were dreaming.
Then our mouths were filled with laughter; our tongues sang for joy.
Then it was said among the nations, “The LORD had done great things for them.”
The LORD has done great things for us; Oh, how happy we were!
Restore our captives, LORD, like the dry stream beds of the Negeb.
Those who sow in tears will reap with cries of joy.
Those who go forth weeping, carrying sacks of seed, will return with cries of joy, carrying their bundled sheaves.
The Method of Lectio Divina:
Lectio Divina is a slow, rhythmic reading and praying of a Scripture passage. Here’s a brief recap of the steps of Lectio Divina:
- Read: Pick any passage in Scripture. Slowly, thoughtfully, savor the word. Linger whenever a word or phrase touches your heart.
- Reflect: What is God saying to you in this passage? Offering you? Asking you?
- Respond: Respond to God from your heart. Speak to God of your feelings and insights. Offer these to God.
- Rest in God: Sit quietly in God’s presence. Rest in God’s love.
- Week 2 Scripture Resource Sheet (December 9-15)
- Order Packs of 10 Lectio Divina Cards – Great for Small Groups
- Printable Lectio Divina Prayer Card
Cultivating Space for God Together:
- December 11, 2018: Women of the Well Advent Evening of Reflection, Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church, Baton Rouge, LA
^^^I’m getting excited about this! If you’re in the Baton Rouge area, please join me! Open to all women.
- December 16, 2018: St. Margaret’s Theology in a Bottle, Albany, LA “Spirituality of a Busy Person”
- January 14-17: Online Busy Person’s Retreat – The retreat that comes to you! Registration is now open. Check it out!