This week in our series God with Us in the Word, we turn to praying a New Testament reading together.
Pray with Me: Click here to listen to Becky’s Guided Lectio Divina
I was a tad bit giddy seeing that this Sunday’s New Testament reading is my favorite verse in scripture and the one Chris used to propose to me! Also, if you flip open my book, the dedication comes from this scripture. Talk about Holy Spirit moment as I went to record this week’s Lectio. As we pray this new testament reading together, let’s remember our litany of gratitude from November of all the reasons we have to rejoice in the Lord!
Third Sunday of Advent Scripture: Philippians 4:4-7
Brothers and sisters:
Rejoice in the Lord always.
I shall say it again: rejoice!
Your kindness should be known to all.
The Lord is near.
Have no anxiety at all, but in everything,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving,
make your requests known to God.
Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding
will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
The Method of Lectio Divina:
Lectio Divina is a slow, rhythmic reading and praying of a Scripture passage. Here’s a brief recap of the steps of Lectio Divina:
- Read: Pick any passage in Scripture. Slowly, thoughtfully, savor the word. Linger whenever a word or phrase touches your heart.
- Reflect: What is God saying to you in this passage? Offering you? Asking you?
- Respond: Respond to God from your heart. Speak to God of your feelings and insights. Offer these to God.
- Rest in God: Sit quietly in God’s presence. Rest in God’s love.
- Week 3 Scripture Resource Sheet (December 16-22)
- Order Packs of 10 Lectio Divina Cards – Great for Small Groups
- Printable Lectio Divina Prayer Card
- Video: Becky Explains Lectio Divina
- Book: Sauntering Through Scripture: A Book Of Reflections
- Advent Reflections: Sacred Advent & Advent Calendar for Adults
- Daily Scripture: Give us This Day
Cultivating Space for God Together:
- I’m doing a GIVEAWAY on my Facebook page!! This is a first for me, so please go join and enter to win a signed copy of my book, Busy Lives & Restless Souls – also, while you’re there, learn about my Online Busy Person’s Retreat – the retreat that comes to you with one-on-one spiritual direction via online video conference – coming up January 14-17, 2019.
Register TODAY for the Online Busy Person’s Retreat.