During our next series, Going to My Inner Chapel, members from my book launch team will share how they have used wisdom gained from reading my newest book, “The Inner Chapel”, in their daily life. This week Liz Aceves tells us how she is sharing the wisdom she gained with others by starting a study group with a group of friends.
When I was asked to write about my experience reading The Inner Chapel: Embracing the Promises of God, I was hesitant at first and then realized I could not say no. This beautiful book has been an inspiration to me on my spiritual journey. I felt for some time a longing to have a deeper relationship with Jesus. As a little girl, I always prayed to God but not to Jesus. I had no idea how impactful reading The Inner Chapel would be to my prayer life.
After reading chapter 9, We Can Find Shelter and Intimacy, I felt a strong need to share what I was reading with others. I woke up in the middle of the night with the idea to start an Inner Chapel study group. I knew exactly who I wanted to reach out to. The next morning, the first thing that came to mind was that thought about starting the study group. I reached out to Becky and asked her for guidance. She immediately sent me the discussion questions for the book. Well, at that point, there was no turning back. I emailed five girlfriends and they ALL said yes. We are now in our seventh week of our Inner Chapel study group. This has been such an amazing and rewarding experience! We have come together via zoom and been incredibly open about what we are learning as we read the book.
The Inner Chapel is an answered prayer. I prayed for months for God to show me how I could have a deeper relationship with Jesus and here it was. I enjoy the “Let’s Go to the Inner Chapel” section at the end of each chapter . They are each a mini spiritual retreat for me.
In those moments of stillness, I found Jesus. I have been able to face things that I thought I had or was dealing with – fears and doubts – I realized I was only masking them. During my prayer time I was questioning who am I? A mother, wife, teacher, daughter, friend… But who am I REALLY? Then I read the words in Chapter 9, “Who I am in God is who I am.” It stopped me in my tracks. I want to serve and help others. This realization and along with our Inner Chapel study group, I have this longing to do more for others. I do not know exactly what this looks like completely, yet, but I trust in God that he will show me.
In the middle of all the turmoil our country is going through – hurt, anger, suffering, illness – we are not alone. Jesus is there with each one of us. He is holding us, lifting us up. He is putting people or situations in our lives to guide us. We must be willing to be open. The Inner Chapel is a book I did not want to end. It is a book I will go back to throughout my spiritual journey.
- Check out my Inner Chapel resource page from Loyola Press for the discussion guide, guided prayers, and handouts to supplement the book.
- My new book, The Inner Chapel: Embracing the Promises of God is now available! As a sincere “Thank You!” to all of you for your support, my publisher has extended a 30% off code for orders through August 13. Simply go to Loyolapress.com/the-inner-chapel and use promo code 5207. You can also order from Barnes and Noble and from Amazon for Kindle, paperback, and audiobok.
- Online Busy Person’s Retreat Registration OPEN!! Wanting one-on-one prayer support during this time? Looking to dive deeper? Register for the Online Busy Person’s Retreat on June 22-25. You’ll be paired with an Ignatian-trained spiritual director to meet online for about an hour a day for four-days and given material and suggestions to support your daily prayer time. Register today!
- Gather with Stephanie Clouatre-Davis & me for Prayer Tool Tuesday – Each Tuesday at 4:30 pm Central via Zoom- to learn a new prayer tool and join us in prayer. Follow my Facebook page for details.
- Visit my Spiritual Support webpage with more resources during this unprecedented time of COVID-19 and follow me on Facebook & Instagram for scripture inspiration and for the latest resources.