Welcome to the new series: Spiritual Direction: Why I Make Time For It. I’ve invited four people who are not spiritual directors, to share what spiritual direction has meant to them in their own lives, why they have made seeing a spiritual director a priority, and the impact it has had. I know you will enjoy reading the words of the men and women who will share with us. We start with my dear ministry colleague and friend, Kathy Powell.
Before I started seeing a spiritual director, a new year would come and one of my resolutions would always be something vague like “pray more” or “get more serious about my faith.” But, like my annual goals to “lose weight” and “be healthier,” my spiritual goals would also quickly fall to the side. When I look back at the 10+ years that spiritual direction has been in my life, it is clear to me that seeing a spiritual director has given me a support system to accomplish my spiritual goals in ways that are sustainable and life-giving.
In some ways, a spiritual director is kind of like a personal trainer. Just like you could get healthy or lose weight on your own, you can also pray and navigate your journey with God by yourself. In the same way that a personal trainer can personalize your end goal to lose weight into “you should do these exercises this many times a week,” a spiritual director can sharpen and help focus your want to “have a deeper relationship with God” into a personalized plan and then walk with you as you live the plan in real life. Having a spiritual companion has made walking my faith journey, and simply living in our busy world, much easier.
Online Busy Person’s Retreat
- If you are drawn to spiritual direction and want to try it or would like to try to ease of meeting online with a trained spiritual, the Online Busy Person’s Retreat is great for you!
- The online retreat is four days, September 23-26, of one-on-one spiritual direction via videoconference. Select the one-hour time slot you’re available each day and you will be auotmatically matched with a director.
- Need a retreat but also need to be with your family? The Online Busy Person’s Retreat is the personalized retreat that comes to you!
Go Deeper: Spiritual Direction
- Read: What is Spiritual Direction
- Read: Looking for Answers: What Might Draw You To Spiritual Direction
- Watch video: What to Expect from Spiritual Direction
- Video: Becky about spiritual direction and her path as a spiritual director
How do I find a spiritual director?
- Watch video: How to find a spiritual director
- Step 1: Ask around and let people know you are looking for one.
- Step 2: Look for religious orders in your area. Often, they have people assigned to the ministry of spiritual direction.
- Step 3: Finally, check out Spiritual Director’s International Seek and Find Guide. Here, you can search online for your city, state, spiritual affiliation, etc.
Cultivating Space for God Together:
- Septemeber 23-36: Registration for the Online Busy Person’s Retreat, the retreat that comes to you with one-on-one online spiritual direction, September 23-26, is NOW OPEN! Find out more here.
- September 3-6: Lay Ecclesial Ministers & Deacons Retreat, Diocese of Jackson, LA
- October 17: Ignatian Spirituality Course at Immaculate Conception in Denham Springs (October 17, 24; November 7, 14)
- Sign up for my Prayer Team and pledge to pray for the weekly prayer requests posted on my Facebook & Instagram, and for the attendees of upcoming events. Email email@example.com.